Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Teen SuicidePrevention

 
Teen Suicide Prevention
By Alexandra-Leigh Bailey
Teen suicide is the leading cause in teenage deaths. The age group which this effects it 15 to 25. This is very serious; most people do not worry about the problem until it’s too late to do anything. Even more worrying, suicide is the fourth leading cause in children 10 to 14. 


Causes:
As there are many reasons as to what can cause someone to feel the need to kill themselves, Most teens kill themselves due to Depression, feeling alone, like a burden. Feeling like the only way out is to end your life. Some kids do it because of parent getting a divorce, Violence in the home. Feeling like they fail at school, feeling worthless. Substance abuse, which becomes an addiction, like self-harm. They also could be rejected by their friends, or other kids. The teen or child could get bullied to the point in which they feel completely dead inside and they have nothing else to lose. Or they could have had a death of someone close to them that they couldn’t handle, or the suicide of another friend or someone from the internet they feel they know.
Warning signs:
Some warning signs, one whom talks about death and suicide, it could be in a joking manner. [if I may say something, just because they talk about death doesn’t mean they are suicidal, but it never hurts to keep an ear out.] The dramatic change in personality, with draws from interaction with friends and family. Signs of depression, most of the time this is a sign not always. Attempts and has attempted in the past.  Expresses that no one cares for them. Becomes reckless and signs of substance abuse. Plans ways to kill themselves and give personal belonging away to loved ones. Spends time online interacting with people who glamorize suicide and maybe even form suicide pacts.
[Okay the last one kind of makes me angry, I am Goth so I talk about death and stuff like that, I spend a great deal of time on the internet, that doesn’t mean I am suicidal. Neither does the fact that I wear all black and I’m Goth] 


How to Prevent:
Talk to your teen, or teen whom, is thinking about killing themselves.  Getting them help is what most people think is right. I am a teen ager myself and I’ve thought about suicide myself. Getting me help is not what I would want; I would want one person to take the time to understand why I want to end my life. I’m sure most of the kids out there think the same thing. Sometimes it’s a cry for help. So instead of making your child or friend get forced help, talk to them and understand what’s going on. Try to talk to them, and if nothing else call the suicide hotline. But try to understand first then offer them a therapist.


How to cope for teens and parents:
If you lost a friend, this is where I can relate. I lost a friend, maybe not to suicide, No one knows why he died, and we know the cause. But if he really did. The pain is, indescribable. Even though you’ll cry and be depressed, you have to remember, they loved you. So you have to put on a brave face, even though you’ll feel like crying. There are steps to healing; you just have to be ready to. The pain will never go away, I can promise that.
Take up a hobby, for me I do art and I take photos because Matthew was a photographer and I hope one day I will be as good as him. Talk about it, how you feel and how it affects you on a daily basis. FRIENDS, trust me those people will know what you’re going through and stand with you. I talk about matt as if he were still alive. Because (now don’t think I’m crazy), but I believe very strongly in the paranormal, and he visited me. He told me, to not cry, to not grieve. So I stopped, I do cry every now and again but then I talk about him as if he were still here and it helps.  Now, don’t pretend your friends aren’t gone. I can’t tell you exactly what to do to heal, but I can only give you some advice.  Then my advice isn’t even exact, you’ll always wonder why? Well, just live your day to day life, and try not to think about it. Most importantly, if you can’t handle the pain, talk to someone you trust about it.

If you lost a child, the death is unbearable, Knowing your child is no longer with you, is so painful. It’s harder than any death you could imagine. Even though the pain will never go away there are ways to heal. One way is time. Even though you may think that it’s the end of the world, it’s not. Time heals all wounds, but you just have to be willing to heal. I’m sure your child doesn’t want you to cry over them. They would want you to smile and be happy. Knowing why your child did this, it a step to healing. I know what you’ll want to do is cry, that won’t bring them back. Nothing will, it’s a sad fact. But If you put on a strong face, and talk to people that will help.
Make sure you find people to talk to, dealing with a suicide can be isolating for a family, friend often don’t understand.  Remember that your other family members are upset also, everyone expresses loss in their own way. Expect that anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays may be difficult. Important days and holidays often remind you of your lost. Feeling like it’s your fault is common and you’ll always wonder why it happened, and that you never saw warning signs. But you have to forgive yourself and your child. There are support groups to help you get through this.



I realize this isn’t the best but, if you really need a “professional” then go search it up. I have researched this topic, and I’ve lived it. So who is better? Someone who thinks they know Teen Suicide or a teen ager who lives through this on a day to day basis? I have thought about killing myself many a time and I use to cut. But the more you think about suicide it becomes an addition, to think about. You may not believe me, but you never know unless you’ve been there, and I’m sure I’ll get people who will email me telling me I don’t know what I’m talking about and I shouldn’t talk unless I have a degree. That’s where I call you arrogant, and tell you to get to know me before judging me. I know what I’m talking about, been like this since I was 10. For those who found this helpful, I hope I can hear your story, if you have one and would like to share it.
The wonderful artist whom the picture belongs to
(first picture)
Another wonderful artist
(second picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment